Wednesday, March 11, 2009

IPL to take sole responsibility for security for the 2009 tournamnent


IPL tournament is scheduled to begin from April 10, 2009. In the meanwhile, some cricketers have expressed doubts about safety in India following armed attacks on the Sri Lanka cricket team in Lahore, Pakistan last week. But IPL commissioner Lalit Modi moved to calm players' security fears. "From the minute a foreign player lands at the airport to the minute he leaves India, we will be in charge of his safety and security," said Modi. Modi revealed South African firm Nicholls and Steyn will take charge of player security during their six-week spell in India, but refused to disclose the cost of the operation.
England batsman Kevin Pietersen - who is scheduled to play for Bangalore Royal Challengers - said he would not compete in the tournament if adequate security measures were not in place, while new Zealand all-rounder Jacob Oram also expressed similar doubts. But Modi said he has spoken to both players and explained the intensive security arrangements in place. The IPL has yet to finalise its 2009 fixtures following a request from the Indian government to move matches which clashed with general election polling dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment